Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Update: Yvette Nicole Brown Cares About Her Fans

So, I’m not gonna lie, I was pretty bummed last night about all that twitter stuff that happened with Yvette Nicole Brown.   It was so random and weird and it really made me wish to the dear Lord above that I had never ever checked Twitter when I did.  I was really kicking myself for that, and I was then also kicking myself for even being bummed about it in the first place.  It had me seriously asking the following questions of myself:

  • HOW the EFF did I get myself into a frakking Twitter war about a TV GUIDE CONTEST!!??  WHAT the hell is wrong with me??  Is there something wrong with the way I’m living my life that I even got myself into this situation to begin with??  I mean look, for Yvette, it’s a totally different story – this is her JOB.  She’s trying to drum up publicity for Community because she is a castmember and she wants her show to succeed.  So of course it makes perfect sense for someone like her to be spending time on this.  But me??  Why the hell would I get myself into a situation where I’m having twitter discussions and fights about this TV Guide contest??  I don’t even work in the entertainment industry, for crap’s sake, and I haven’t gotten an issue of TV Guide for over a decade!!  So am I spending way too much time and energy into watching and discussing my favorite t.v. shows and movies??  Do I seriously need to get a life?
  • Am I an attention whore??  I’ve never thought of myself as such … I mean I like to get a laugh, or tell someone an enjoyable story, definitely.  But don’t we all seek attention from our friends and fam when we tell a really cool story, tell a funny joke, post a facebook status, post a tweet, etc.?  I don't think I fall outside "normal" range here.
  • Why am I even bummed about this and putting this much thought into at all??  There must be something wrong with me if I even care enough to be bummed in the first place.  And being bummed that I was bummed was just making me MORE. DAMN. BUMMED.

So yeah, I wrote the blog last night because I felt the need to vent and try to plead my case, even though I thought it was to no one at all.  I then had a bunch of work I had to finish, and I was up super late trying to get the work done because by then I had spent too much time on the blog.  I went to bed at like 2am and then woke up at 8am, way too tired, and bleary-eyed, thinking, “I gotta get in the shower and then get ready for my first meeting.”  But first I checked my computer as always, and for some reason, Yvette showed up in my Twitter newsfeed again.  I later realized it was because Twitter was just acting buggy, but I clicked on her name because at first I had a quick flash of hope that she had unblocked me.  I then saw the following tweets from her to me, from just a few minutes prior:

yvettenbrown yvette nicole brown
@maryploppins613 Tweeting a blog about an incident that's over & insulting me is not a good way to prove you're NOT seeking attention.

yvettenbrown yvette nicole brown
@maryploppins613 I read every tweet I get an respond kindly to everyone. As a human being if I'm irritated or annoyed I tweet that too.

yvettenbrown yvette nicole brown
@maryploppins613 And for the record, my LOVE for #Chuck & my real friend @ZacharyLevi has been WELL documented. The contest was all in fun.

(Quick note: It certainly never crossed my mind to think anything otherwise.  I know the Chuck and Community casts are buddies, and they do a ton to help promote each others’ shows.)

yvettenbrown yvette nicole brown
@maryploppins613 I have no ill will towards you, sweetie and I'm sorry I lost you as a "fan" which as a D-list "celeb" I didn't know I had.

yvettenbrown yvette nicole brown
@maryploppins613 Now, all that said, you're a great writer. Glad I got read about how "pissy" I am in such an entertaining way. #YouTakeCare 

WOAH.  My jaw at that moment was dropped beyond the floor, and I was still rubbing my sleepy eyes to figure out if I wasn't just seeing things.  I never in a million years thought that she would check my account again after blocking me (didn’t know if that was even technically possible).  I thought she blocked me for the sole purpose of never having to see my terrible face and tweets again!  I suddenly had several feelings all at once:
  • “D’OH!! Did I say 'D-list' and 'pissy'??  I think I meant was 'Deeee-LISH' and bliss ... err ... cliss ... err ... CLASSY!!”  <gulps, loosens collar>
  • “WOW, quite awesome she actually cares about her fans!”
  • “I think she still thinks I’m a jerk though ...”
  • And finally ...“Holy SHIT I think she just complimented me despite thinking I’m a total jerk!!”  (elation).

And it did also send me back into a bit of soul-searching again, heh, because I took what she said seriously:  Did I tweet the blog to seek attention?  Well look, I did have a second thought about this before I tweeted it last night.  But in my defense: There are exactly TWO people who read this blog on any sort of regular basis: my husband, and my mother.  My dad and cousin and one other friend have read a few specific posts, but I don’t think they ever come back and check it.  I also have exactly 29 followers on Twitter, and I think at least HALF of those are spammers and total randoms who follow everyone in an attempt to get more followers themselves.  And another quarter of them are actual friends who never login to their accounts.  So I would say that I was seeking attention in ONE very particular sense: My personality is such that I feel quite terrible if I know that someone actively dislikes me and it has anything to do with something I did to offend them.  Especially in the case where I think it was at least partially a misunderstanding, and something I can explain to clear it up.  That’s just the way I am, I have a very strong need to clear things up when they need to be cleared.  I couldn’t explain and clear it up with Yvette (or so I thought) because she blocked me, so explaining it to myself and maybe my husband was the best I could do (for the record I think the hubs at least slightly thinks I’m a lunatic now).  I definitely would NOT bother showing it to my mom, because her response would most certainly be utter disappointment and major disturbance that I would even FIND myself in this situation to begin with, hahaha.  I can just picture the look on her face now.  Yikes.  And she watches Community too.  ;-)

Anyway I immediately tweeted back to Yvette a very condensed version of what I stated above, along with sincere apologies that I referred to her as "D-list".  ;-)  I was frustrated and pissed when I wrote that, so I was just mouthing off like an asshole.  My bad.  I most certainly do NOT consider Yvette, anyone on Community, or anyone on any of my favorite shows to be D-list.  They are all A-list in my world, MUCH more so than most of the jackasses out there who technically are considered to be "A-list".  So Yvette then tweeted me back and told me that she would unblock me because I am "fun and saucy," and, well, I'm not gonna lie, that comment made my day, my week, and maybe my entire month.  I find her to be hilarious of course, so to get that compliment from her means a TON.  So I spent a minute on cloud nine and then I quickly realized that I'd better start getting ready and showered otherwise I was gonna be late for my first morning meeting.

So the point of all this, other than a general update that last night's issue seems to be resolved (praise Jeebus), is that I am EXTREMELY impressed and shocked (in a good way) that Yvette cared enough to check my tweets even after she blocked me, and that she would then actually RESPOND to me again to attempt to clear things up a bit, when 99% of celebs out there would have never even noticed my first tweet from yesterday afternoon to begin with.  But Yvette actually took time and effort to go out of her way to check my tweets, read my blog to let me plead my case, and then put in the effort to clear matters up with me and give me a second chance!!  Even after I made a couple "pissy" angry/rude comments about her being "pissy", in my blog!!  ;-)  I mean wow ... that has got to be rare ... and it is extremely cool.  And I really, seriously, honestly, truly, appreciated it.  It brightened my day and my week.

The other cool thing is that it looked like there was some good discussion that spun out of the TV Guide convo with TV reviewers like Jace (a.k.a. Televisionary) and a couple other folks this morning too.  I still need to fully catch up on those tweets because I had a crazy workday, but for now I'll just say this: My initial instinct was to vote for Chuck simply because I was so pissed that Supernatural beat us out at the last second last year.  But, it makes more sense for Community to get it, because it's Chuck's last season anyway.  There's nothing we can do for Chuck now, it's already a goner (sniffle sniffle), so in a sense it's pointless.  But Community still has a chance.  Does winning the contest and cover story really MEAN anything??  Well, technically not directly, BUT all publicity helps, in a more indirect fashion.  So at this point, I hope Community wins, otherwise frankly, I'll feel like a real dick at this point.  ;-) No but seriously - because I love it and want it to succeed, of course.

And thank you, Yvette, for giving me the chance to plead my case.  I appreciate it more than you know.  NOT that I expect that you'll ever actually read this blog entry, but now I know that I shouldn't assume anything.  ;-)

p.s. I have never once in my entire life met anyone who has ever owned a Nielsen box.  I've always doubted that they really exist.  Find me someone with a Nielsen box and I'll find you Big Foot AND the goddamn Loch Ness Monster.  And then I'll kick their asses for having such terrible taste in television (the Nielsen box users, not Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster).

No comments:

Post a Comment